WORKS AT BERNARD STREET JUNCTION
Works have commenced on 3 September 2013 on the improvement of the junction of Bernard Street and Baltic Street with Constitution Street. The work is taking place as part of the wider Leith Programme.
The works will involve:
· Providing new, signalled pedestrian crossing facilities on the sides where there is currently no provision for pedestrians, to make it easier and safer to cross the road on any side of the junction
· Improving the quality of the pavements with Caithness stone paving flags, to tie in with the new paving used in Constitution Street
· Replacing the two crossing islands on Bernard Street with a single, larger pedestrian island that will make it safer and easier to cross, and taking away unnecessary guard rail
· Closing Assembly Street to motor vehicles at the junction, to allow for a proper, signalled pedestrian crossing across Baltic Street. Cyclists will still be able to access Assembly Street here.
· Assembly Street will become two way for traffic and new parking restrictions will apply at the area where the road is closed, to assist vehicles to turn. Access to Assembly Street will be maintained from the east end of Baltic Street at Salamander Street.
Work is expected to be complete by late November 2013. Constitution Street will have to be temporarily closed to through traffic during certain stages of the road works to allow construction of the new layout and diversion routes will be clearly signed during these periods.
Because these roads are busy, there may be congestion during the construction period throughout the surrounding area. You should allow extra time for your journey, or consider using an alternative route or making use of public transport.
Normal site working hours will be from 7am to 5pm on Mondays to Fridays and work may occasionally be carried out on Saturdays between 8am to 5pm. Overnight or Sunday working will only take place in exceptional circumstances and should this be necessary nearby residents will be notified in advance.
Please note that during the junction works, the Lothian Buses service 16 heading towards the city centre will operate via the Shore and Henderson Street. The northbound service 16 to Ocean Terminal is unaffected and will remain on Constitution Street.
We apologise for any delays or disruption you may experience during the road works. We will do all we can to minimise these impacts.
KEEPING YOU INFORMED
You can find up to date information on the works in the following places.
– City of Edinburgh Council’s weekly road report,
– The City of Edinburgh Council’s @edintravel twitter feed
– You will find information about the wider Leith Programme on our web pages http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/leithimprovements
– the Leith Programme project team on 0131 529 7519
– the City of Edinburgh Council’s Contact Centre on 0800 23 23 23
Thanks and regards,